Daft.ie / auto-complete
At Daft.ie I was part of a responsive web and desktop website squad. Together we were working to solve a user pain while selecting the areas on a Search page. We followed the UX Design Process that I created. The main goal was to ensure that, what we create will improve life our users. The process supports team collaboration and user validation.
Lead UX Designer
Discovery - UX analysis
Based on user feedback and ux evaluation we listed problems of a current design:
- Too much scrolling to find the area.
- No functionality to select areas from different cities/counties.
- User can’t see what areas are selected if there are more than 3 areas selected.
- User can’t see what property types are selected if there is more than 3 selected.
- To deselect area, the user needs to scroll the list to find it and is very annoying.
- Main CTA Search and Reset are hidden.
- There are no labels on the filters after user select the value.
Discovery - competitors research
Our competitors are using the auto-complete function instead of a drop-down list.
We organized a team workshop to find a solution to user’s problems. To get views of the problem from different perspectives we invited colleagues from customer support, marketing, dev, design, and product.
Workshop - ideas
There have been few ideas around auto-complete with creating of tags, use of map and funnel search
Design - iteration 1
We focused on the auto-complete solution to improve current search and leave map as the next step. The first option is to show auto-complete on a new page along with checkboxes.
Design - iteration 2
The second option is to show auto-complete on the same page with no checkboxes. The tags are displayed inline.
Design - iteration 3
The third option is to show auto-complete on the same page. The tags are displayed under each other.
We decided to build a more complex prototype using option 3. Based on framework Jobs to be Done I listed user’s tasks. Around them, we created a story for user testing.
Team validation / user testing
Each of users was asked to rate the importance of each task. After performing a test on current touch site users were asked to rate satisfaction. Then they performed the same test on the prototype and asked again about satisfaction. I also measured the time that took to complete tasks.
I tested 8 users form tech, product, sales, customer support. Average results show 50% improved satisfaction on the main two tasks of multi-select and deselect of areas.